office (847) 816-3816
fax (847) 816-3971
toll-free (888) 425-2475

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are a few of the questions we are asked most:

Q: How do I know if the cracks in my foundation are settlement cracks?
A: Settlement cracks occur in pairs and other signs of movement need to be present such as drywall cracks or sloping floors.

Q: I received several proposals for the repair of my foundation.  How do I decide which contractor to hire?
A: SDC has reviewed proposals for numerous homeowners where we did not recommend any of the proposed repair plans.  Most contractors address the bowed or cracked wall but do not address the root cause of the problem.  The root cause needs to be addressed before the structural repairs begin.

Be careful of having a contractor oversell you on repairs.  Remember that you need a building permit and some building permits require the repair plans certified by a licensed Structural Engineer. 

Skipping the building permit process can be a big mistake. 

Some communities require the contractors to be bonded, helping to protect the homeowners.  Remember that not all contractors have the same capabilities and skill sets.  SDC knows most of the larger foundation contractors and their capabilities.